A copious breakfast is a pleasure to behold and to eat, but sometimes we do indulge a bit too much and then feel guilty. The solution is simple. It lies in our choice of ingredients. A simple substitution can make a huge difference.
Sausage and bacon were the original main ingredients for this recipe when we were first introduced to it. While this was especially tasty, let’s just say that it caused some concern about the waistline. Then again, this is a special dish for special occasions, so if you are in the mood for sausage and bacon, indulge. Today, however, we’d like to introduce a slightly lighter, but nonetheless flavorful version using chicken.
FREE small cheese pizza from Sunday
1 cup chopped chicken, cooked
1 cup hash browns (home-made or frozen and thawed)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 cup grated parmesan
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F with the pizza in it, on a baking sheet, so it begins to warm.
2. In a bowl, mix the chicken, hash browns and onion.
3. Remove the pizza from the oven. Spread the meat and hash on top, evenly.
4. Beat the eggs, ground mustard, salt, pepper and Parmesan. Pour over the meat and hash toppings.
5. Return pizza to the lowest rack in the oven. Bake until eggs set. About 20 minutes.
Serving suggestions – Garnish with a slice of tomato or a dab of mild salsa. Indeed, we have found this morning pizza to be especially tasty with mild salsa or just plain ketchup. If you are in the mood for a sweet touch, a sprinkle of honey is rather interesting as well.
You may also enjoy –